Patients with long term mechanical ventilation (LMV) require a treatment focused on rehabilitation. As an intensive care unit (ICU) is oriented in the care of critically ill patients it doesn’t represent an optimal option for the patients in need of long-term mechanical ventilation.
REMEO® is the answer to one of the biggest desires of the patient with LMV and a long stay in the ICU: To return back home.
Patients have a faster recovery in their home environment, and the worldwide trend is to treat patients as quickly as possible outside of the hospital environment in order to accelerate the recovery and to reduce the risks related with the hospitalization process. REMEO® provides a comprehensive treatment that is focused on quality of life and rehabilitation in the warmth of the home, surrounded by family and friends.
REMEO® – Welcome home
Returning home after a long stay in hospital can be an emotional time for the whole family. Surrounded by your loved ones, you can now enjoy being back in a familiar environment. However, ensuring your professional care at home is a top priority.
REMEO® has been developed to continue the care process at home by providing your relatives with a range of helpful services. Before your discharge from hospital, your family caregivers will receive full training to help them carry out routine tasks at home.
All the services you need from a single source
Additionally, qualified REMEO® staff will support you and your family at home, with either 24-hour nursing care 7 days a week or with regular visits on agreed days, depending on your individual needs.
The correct working of the ventilator and its accessories are as important as the ongoing care. A REMEO® technician will explain to you in detail how the equipment works and how to handle it – including regular technical maintenance and a 24-hour hotline.
You can be sure that REMEO® will provide all the support and advice you and your family needs for your care at home.
Good preparation is the best care
Relatives will also need support and advice to become prepared for caring at home. Once medical, social and psychological circumstances allow the patient to return home, our individual training programs are the best preparation for family caregivers to learn the daily care routine as well as be prepared to act in more emergent situations. Patients and relatives can rely on our skilled professionals and equipment, even after leaving the REMEO® Centre. REMEO® offers a wide range of training tools to support families and caregivers, these typically include:
- Ventilator functioning and basic troubleshooting (e.g. “bagging” in the event of failure)
- Pulmonary hygiene and airway maintenance, especially for tracheostomised patients, including suctioning, cleaning and changing the tracheostomy tube
- Personal care (e.g. toileting, dressing, safe transfers, oral feeding or other routes)
- Positional changes to avoid tissue trauma and skin evaluation
- Bladder and bowel routines
- Management of medications
- Management of an emergency situation
- Communication techniques if the patient is unable to speak
FOR THE PATIENT:
- Long-term stay in a home-like and comfortable environment
- Support from experienced and specially trained nurses
- Reduced exposure to common hospital infections
- Smooth transition from the hospital to the home through the REMEO® Center
- Individual weaning plans provided
- Training for the family caregiver, which starts when the patient is identified as being able to return home
- REMEO® as the main point of contact for care outside the hospital (e.g. taking care of medical equipment)
FOR THE FAMILY
- Training and participation in patient care and rehabilitation
- Reduced travel expenses
- Reduced work and school absenteeism
- Customized home plans with the involvement of the family
REMEO® staff takes care of the patient in the comfort and privacy of a home-like environment when simultaneously reducing the risks compared to the hospital care. Careful management is provided at home with the assistance of a multidisciplinary team, which is led by a specialist in mechanical ventilation and supported by a nurse aid 7x24. Logistics support is available for any events that may occur. REMEO® also has a team of rehabilitation professionals in charge of the patient's recovery process, seeking to achieve functional goals adjusted to the particular circumstances of each patient in order to achieve the highest level of independence and quality of life.
The success of REMEO® is based on the active participation of both the patient and the family. A crucial part for patient to be able to return back home is the awareness and ongoing training of carers in order for them to be able to support the patient activities according to the respective complexity.
When you, as a family member, decide to care for your ventilated relative at home, you can be certain that REMEO® will provide you with full training in the necessary skills – before the patient’s discharge – so that you can meet the challenge with safety and confidence.
At home, you can be assured of continuous REMEO® support. Depending on your family’s individual requests, our specialist staff can look after the patient in two ways:
Multi-hour care: A REMEO® nurse remains at your home – for 24 hours a day, 7 days a week if needed, or for several hours on certain days.
Occasional homecare: Regular visits by a REMEO® nurse who reviews the patient’s condition, performs blood gas analyses and checks the ventilator parameters in consultation with the responsible physician.